The Apple iPhone is undoubtedly one of the most popular mobile devices ever created. Capable of supporting two different kinds of instant messaging, including the iMessage and SMS messages, the iPhone lets its users communicate with others whether they have an iPhone or not.
At one point or another, you might want to archive your instant messages. This could be for simple recordkeeping purposes or to load these messages onto a newer device. Regardless, there is a rather straightforward and user-friendly means of backing up both your iMessages and any SMS messages you’ve received from non-iPhone users.
The easiest method of backing up your iMessages and your SMS messages is to simply perform an iTunes backup through your iPhone. Follow the steps outlined below to complete the backup process.
1. Open the iTunes application and plug your iOS device, either an iPhone or an iPad, into your computer. Click on the appropriate selection in the upper-right corner of the iTunes console to select either the iPad or the iPhone.
2. A new window should load up, which explains your options for archival. If you want to backup all of the information on your device, simply choose “This computer” on the left side of the window.
3. If you wish to encrypt your backup, choose the option to “Encrypt backup,” which can also be found on the left side of the window.
4. Finally, simply select “Back Up Now” to initiate the archival process. If you receive a warning mentioning apps that aren’t currently in the iTunes Library, simply choose “Back Up Apps” to sync these files and remove the warning.
5. Once the backup is complete, select the “Done” button to close out the window.
One of the benefits of using iTunes to archive the data from your iPhone is the fact that you will be able to view the backup files directly from your iPhone. Users who maintain archives only on their iPhone still run the risk of losing their data, so a backup to iCloud is also recommended.
Using iCloud to Archive Your iPhone
A simple alternative is to initiate a backup via the iCloud app on your iPhone. Again, this features a very straightforward process that is described, step-by-step, below. The only downside to backing up your data to iCloud is the fact that you won’t be able to use your iPhone to view the archives at a later date.
1. Open up the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down until you find the “iCloud” option. Select this option to proceed.
3. Tap on the “Backup” option, then ensure the option “iCloud Backup” is enabled.
4. You should now receive a message to warn you that “your iPhone will no longer back up to your computer automatically when you sync with iTunes.” Click “OK” to continue, as you’ll still be able to archive the files on your iPhone manually through the iTunes interface.
5.Finally, simply tap “Back Up Now” to begin transferring your information from the iPhone to Apple’s iCloud.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Backing Up iPhone Text Messages
No comments yet. Sign in to add the first!